Your Immigration Options When
Marrying a U.S. Citizen

If you marry a U.S. citizen, you can become a lawful permanent resident based on your family relationship if you meet certain eligibility requirements. This process can start with an application as a fiancé once you are engaged, then after marriage you can transition to a permanent resident green card, and eventually citizenship.

Getting Married and Moving to the United States

If you are engaged to and are planning to marry a U.S. citizen, you have a number of options regarding your immigration to the United States. You must first acquire the appropriate immigration authorization to move and work in the United States by one of the following paths…


Fiancé Visa

US Fiance K1 Visa

The K-1 fiancé visa is good for 90 days and allows you to enter the United States to plan your wedding and apply for work authorization.


Employment Authorization

US Employment Authorization

After being admitted to the United States on a K-1 visa, you may immediately apply for work authorization that will allow you to work in the U.S.


Permanent Resident

US Green Card by Marriage

Canadians can apply for a permanent resident green card and employment authorization immediately after marrying a U.S. citizen.


U.S. Citizenship

US Citizenship

Canadians can acquire U.S. citizenship once they have been a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years and married to the same U.S. citizen.

Learn More About Each of These Steps Below…

Immigration Questions? We Are Here to Help!

Contact Our U.S. Immigration Experts For More Information About Canadians Marrying U.S. Citizens

Our immigration team will offer a FREE consultation to discuss your immigration needs.